Injury Prevention, Strength and Conditioning Program
In 2006, FHBC High Performance implemented a Strength and Conditioning Program for all male and female field hockey athletes. The program aims to increase aerobic fitness, strength, flexibility and sport specific energy systems to prepare athletes for training and competition and prevent injuries. The programs are specifically designed for each age group in accordance with the recommendations made in the Canadian Sport Centre Long Term Athlete Development Model. The programs are periodized and designed to take into account competition peaks, and rest periods associated with the performance phases. Parents, please take some time to read the Parent’s Guide to Long Term Athlete Development available on our coach resources web page, and as part of the team package.
For the provincial training programs, please scroll down to your team's document box below.
Sport Health and Science
Value-Added Education System
- Standardize the delivery and content of sport science information
- Develop the “whole” athlete
- Create integrated resources for our BC athletes, ensuring smooth transition into National and University programs.
We are very fortunate to have two professional physiotherapists with field hockey specific experience designing our excellent and functional programs!
What is included in the Provincial Fitness Program?
• A PDF document titled "Exercise Library", which includes written descriptions and photographs of each exercise in your team's fitness program. We recommend you print the "Exercise Library" so you can refer to it when you are learning new exercises and completing your workouts.
• A PDF document for each week of your training program. (The weekly document does not include photos this year - please refer to your "Exercise Library"!)
• A link to additional resources for training tips, pictures if you are really keen! (See document box titled "Fitness Program - All Team BC Athletes".)