The Bridgman Cup Tournament is the oldest and most prestigious senior girls field hockey tournament in the Province, first competed in 1937. A total of 16 teams from Victoria, the Island and Lower Mainland are confirmed. “The tournament is a key event for the Province’s high school field hockey teams as it provides the highest level of competition leading to the Provincial AA and AAA championships played later this Fall.” said Nancy Mollenhauer, Tournament Chair and past Canadian Women’s Field Hockey Olympian.
Play commences on Friday, October 10, 2008 with a 4 Pool round robin with the top two teams per pool advancing to the Championship Flight starting on Saturday, October 11. Final games for top spots are played on Sunday afternoon starting at 1:30 pm.
In addition to tournament play, the Uvic Vikes Women’s Field Hockey Team hosts the UBC Thunderbirds for CIS games, Saturday and Sunday, starting at 11:00 am. Admission is free for all Bridgman and CIS games. On Sunday at 12:30pm a head shaving in support for Cops for Cancer and the presentation of the Stephanie Johnston (Doney) Memorial Scholarship will take place.
2008 TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
· Friday, October 10: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm - Round Robin Play
· Saturday, October 11: 8:00 am to 11:00 am - Round Robin Play
· Saturday, October 11: 11:00 am to 12:30 pm - Uvic v/s UBC CIS Game
· Saturday, October 11: 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm - Championship and Consolation Play
· Sunday, October 12: 8:00 am to 12:00 pm - Championship and Consolation Play
· Sunday, October 12: 11:00 to 12:30 pm - Uvic v/s UBC CIS Game
· Sunday, October 12: 1:30 pm – 3rd Place Championship Game
· Sunday, October 12: 2:30 pm – 1st and 2nd Place Championship Game
2008 BRIDGMAN CUP PARTICIPATING TEAMS
· Mount Douglas
· Lambrick Park
· St. Michaels University School
· Glenlyon Norfolk House
· Shawnigan Lake
· Frances Kelsey
· South Delta
· Carson Graham
· Crofton House
· Little Flower Academy
· West Vancouver
For more information about the 2008 Bridgman Cup please contact Nancy Mollenhauer (Tournament Chair) at Nancy.Mollenhauer@smus.bc.ca or Ian Batey (Media Liason) at email@example.com, 250-216-1429. For more background information about the Bridgman Cup please see the box below.